Dubí

Dubí

Dubi

The first mention of Dubí is found in Krupka´s urban books from the period between 1488 and 1494. According to these data it has not been a settlement yet, but it used to be the place, where Krupka´s miners, who mined and panned tin temporarily and seasonally slept.

The settlement got named after large oak forests, which were located around and were also the original forest culture. Dubí (Eichwald) gradually became a settlement of miners formed by sheds of miners, stables for horses, ore-processing mills, mills and saw-mills, which processed wood for fuel and mining work in the steelworks.

From 16th century Dubí permanently became part of the Teplice dominion and it is famous for its ironworks, mills, saw-mills and hammers. In the late 16th century a large park was founded and forester´s lodge called Barvář was built there. Immediately after that forest management of Teplice dominion was moved there. That means the subsequent development of woodworking saws operations, operations for the manufacture of wood wool and paper.

Conveniently located village on medieval trade route from Bohemia to Saxony caused the establishment of pubs, shops and other facilities for processing iron and metal, production of gunpowder, ceramics and later on also glass industry.

Communication links with the surrounding villages and the city of Teplice has improved and so this area became a destination for trips of Teplice spa guests. The importance of community, especially business, increased when the road Dubi - Cinovec was completed in 1849 – 1851. Since the mid-19th century village has its own school. This period also became the beginning of the spa period, which was opened to the public in 1862. Spa buildings have undergone several significant stages of development.

The orientation of the spa, recreation, tourism and trade definitely blurred the original character of the mining community. 11 January 2008 due to the decline in treatment and poor financial situation of the Teplice spas by this date the historical spas concluded by this date.

Its reputation was underscored by the construction of the Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary (1898-1906), which is a copy of the Venetian church of Santa Maria dell 'Orto. This object has gradually become more famous than the actual spa building and is a clear landmark in the deep wedge Mountains.

The clear orientation of the village underlined other activities, such as large parks and forest parks, promenade paths, toboggan and bobsleigh and ski jump and romantic tram track connected with Teplice. The population of this town during first half of the 20th century was around 4,500-5,000 people with high prevalence of German nationality. Today 3,730 residents live there.

Historical, social and economic development of Dubi and its population was probably the main reason that in 1960 Dubí became an integrative center for the newly created territorial and administrative unit, which took over its name.